Wednesday 10 January 2007

It's all about communication. It's always about communication. But what sort of communication is a blog? When I train people in communications, I teach them that effective communication requires an understanding of the communication needs of the audience - but what are the needs of a blogging audience? I have recommended the format for certain corporate clients to make public the CEOs thoughts and travails, suitably edited to be consistent with corporate values and standards, of course! Otherwise, isn't it all ego and a existential plea for confirmation of existence?

I have used other people's blogs for an on-the-spot report on certain world events, or to see what former friends are up to, but I am uncomfortable with the format of a public diary. So I shall persevere and try and find a use for a blog in an effort to improve my understanding of communications.

No comments: